Saturday 7 January 2017

Terrain boards: No1 "The Refinery" finished, and a quick look at No2

This new terrain project has really got me inspired, as proven by the fact that I managed to finish the first piece in only a few days!

Without further ado, we have the finished first board, The Refinery:




The main structure was made from two different pieces of packaging. I cast plaster out of the indentations and glued them on top eachother. The doors are card and the windows are made from an IKEA anti-slip mat, my go-to window frames in 6mm scratch-builds. Finally the chimney stack is made from three different pieces of styrene rod glued together and painted.

The storage silos, like the building, can be removed for easier storage. They each consist of a piece of plaster cast from a cylinder, sanded to shape and mounted on a piece of plastic card. Dead simple, but quite effective I think.

Here's a last shot of the main building, without the silos obstructing the view. The fireteam is a GZG NSL unit, standing in to give a sense of scale.


So, That's one down, only 11 more to go. And I have actually started on the second one!

I just started drawing out where the road would go, and made sure my structures would fit. This tile will be a sort of mixed residential one, with a disorganized slum in the bottom, a few shops and a garage along the north road and a gated residence/compound on the top right.
  

And the base board again, with some texture and paint. I marked out the road as well, while I'm waiting for the paint to dry on the buildings.

That's as far as I've gotten for now, but I'm hoping to share some more pics of this board as it comes together.

Meanwhile, any good tips for the remaining 10 tiles? So far I've come up with a residential block for the people rich enough to stay out of the slums but not enough to own their own building in or around the city.

Til next time! 

2 comments:

  1. Looking good Alexander, some smashing details :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Yoshimi, Hopefully the next one will be as impressive!

      Delete